EAST PROVIDENCE, RI — The Rhode Island Department Of Health (RIDOH) is warning pet owners of a dog and cat food recall from Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. after the company found high levels of Aflatoxin in some of its products.
RIDOH said in a news release Thursday that certain lots of Sportsmix dog and cat food, distributed nationally online and in stores, were found to contain levels of the toxin that exceed acceptable limits.
“Aflatoxin is a toxin produced by the mold Aspergillus flavus, which can grow on corn and other grains used as ingredients in pet food,” said the news release. “At high levels, aflatoxin can cause illness and death in pets.”
The following lot codes, which can be found on the back of the food bag and will appear in a three-line code, are included in the recall:
- 50# Sportmix Energy Plus Lots Exp 03/02/22/05/L2, 03/02/22/05/L3, 03/03/22/05/L2
- 44# Sportmix Energy Plus Lots 03/02/22/05/L3
- 50# Sportmix Premium High Energy Lots 03/03/22/05/L3
- 44# Sportmix Premium High Energy Lots 03/03/22/05/L3
- 31# Sportmix Original Cat Lots 03/03/22/05/L3
- 15# Sportmix Original Cat Lots 03/03/22/05/L2, 03/03/22/05/L3
The health department said pet owners should not feed recalled products to their pets or any other animals. If a pet shows signs of aflatoxin poisoning, which include sluggishness, loss of appetite, vomiting, jaundice, and/or diarrhea, a veterinarian should be contacted immediately.